- 3 cups lightly packed kale
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 blood oranges
- 1 Tablespoon local honey
- 1 Tablespoon red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- pinch of salt & fresh cracked pepper
- Prepare the Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- Roughly chop the kale and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Massage the kale with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of oil. After 20-30 seconds, the kale will soften and get a vibrant dark green color.
- Grate the carrots using a box grater or a food processor fitted with the grating blade.
- Give your vinaigrette a good shake before pouring over the kale and carrots (about 2 Tablespoons).
- Using clean hands or tongs, combine the kale and carrots with the vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately or let it chill for about 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving.
Massaging the kale helps to soften and tenderize it by breaking down its fibrous texture. It also makes it easier to chew and digest.
This salad is best served within a few hours but will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.