Creamy Balsamic Mushroom Chicken Marsala
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- kosher salt & black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- .5# crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 2tsp dried thyme)
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry marsala wine (madeira, sherry or dry vermouth are good substitutes)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place flour and garlic powder in a shallow bowl and dredge chicken through flour mix, pressing to adhere.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, add chicken and sear on both sides until golden, about 3-5 min per side.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter and allow butter to brown around the chicken, about 2 minutes. Remove chicken from the skillet.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and mushrooms to skillet. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add 2 Tbsp butter, shallots, garlic, thyme, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook 4-5 min. Add balsamic vinegar. Cook another 2-3 min, until mushrooms have caramelized. Spoon half the mushrooms out of the skillet and onto the plate with the chicken.
- Pour in wine and broth. Cook 10-15 min until reduced slightly, then pour in the cream.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and simmer for 5-10 min, or until warmed through and thickened slightly. Spoon the reserved mushrooms over the chicken.
More from: chicken Chicken Marsala comfort food Mushrooms Recipes