This authentic German Potato Salad is a traditional recipe made year-round in Southern Germany. Potato salads in Northern Germany are prepared differently, using mayonnaise rather than a mustard dressing.
- 1lb Gold potatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup beef broth - or chicken or vegetable
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sierra Nevada mustard
- salt to taste
- Wash and boil potatoes in abundant water for 20-40 minutes. Keep checking them often to ensure you remove them from the water when they are barely finished cooking through.
- While potatoes are boiling, peel and finely chop onion and add to a large salad bowl.
- Peel the potatoes while still hot or at least warm. Thinly slice them into about 1/4" slices and add them to the onions.
- Prepare the dressing by adding mustard, sea salt, oil, and broth to a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add the dressing over the potatoes and gently mix to combine.
- Use scissors to roughly cut chives into the salad as garnish.
- Let the salad sit for about 5 minutes to absorb the dressing then serve.