- 1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine or basmati rice
- 1 can (13.5 oz) full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish (Optional)
- Add jasmine or basmati rice to a medium pot.
- Rinse 3-4 times with cool water, draining off as much water as possible after the last rinse.
- Add 2 cups water to the pot and bring up to a full boil over medium/high heat. As soon as it reaches a boil immediately turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 20 minutes (do not remove the lid during this time).
- While the pot is simmering, cube the mango and make your sauce.
- To make the sauce: Combine the coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat or medium-low heat until the mixture is hot and the sugar is melted. Do not bring the coconut sauce to a boil.
- After the rice has simmered for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit, undisturbed, for an additional 10 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of the sauce into the pot. Stir to mix well until the sauce is fully absorbed. The mango sticky rice is ready to serve when the rice mixture and the sauce cool to room temperature or lukewarm.
- To serve, transfer 1/3 cup of the coconut rice to a few small serving bowls or plates. Place the sliced mango on the side. Pour a few spoonfuls of the extra coconut sauce on top of the rice. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, if using.
Recipe adapted from Omnivore's Cookbook