- 1 head of Romanesco
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter (if you only have salted butter, omit additional salt from recipe)
- ¼ cup hazelnuts or desired nuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot tops (or parsley)
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Stand Romanesco on its stem and cut from top to bottom into 1" thick slabs. Cut loose bits into ½" pieces; season bits and steaks with salt & pepper.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp oil and carefully slip Romanesco steaks into pan. Do not overlap.
- Cook, rotating skillet periodically for even browning, until dark brown underneath, about 5 minutes. Turn and drizzle a bit of oil over second sides and into empty areas of pan. Scatter chopped pieces of Romanesco into spaces between steaks and toss gently to coat with oil.
- Transfer pan to oven; roast Romanesco for about 16 minutes - steaks should be tender.
- Transfer steaks to a platter. Return pan with loose pieces of Romanesco to medium-high heat. Add butter, nuts, garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add chopped carrot tops & vinegar and stir up any browned bits. Spoon over steaks and serve with lemon wedges.
More from: romanesco