Roasted Spatchcock Chicken with Carrots, Celery & Potatoes
- 1 whole heirloom chicken
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- ½ Tbsp of garlic, onion, oregano, thyme & paprika powder
- ¾ tsp salt, or to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
For the veggies:
- 4 potatoes, cut in half
- 4 celery, sliced diagonally
- 4 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. In a smaller mixing bowl, combine softened butter, minced garlic, lemon zest, dried spices, salt, and pepper. Mix and mash with a fork until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- On a cutting board, place chicken breast-side down. Using sharp kitchen shears, cut out the backbone of the chicken. Once the backbone is removed, turn over the chicken and, using the heels of your hand, press down forcefully to flatten it. Remove any excess skin or fat.
- Next, gently pull the skin away from the meat and spread half of the butter mixture under the skin and onto the meat. Rub the rest of the butter mixture on top of the skin and all over the chicken.
- Set the chicken on a baking sheet, tuck in the wings and turn legs inward, and roast for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, toss the veggies with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- When the 25 minutes is up, pull the baking sheet out and arrange the veggies around the chicken; stirring occasionally while it cooks.
- Continue to roast for 20 to 25 more minutes, or until chicken is done.
- Remove from oven and transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve with vegetables. Enjoy!
More from: chicken whole chicken