- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- juice of 1 large orange, about ¼ cup
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bunch of baby broccoli, chopped
- ½ bunch of kale, rinsed and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the dressing by combining the first 8 ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Chop the broccoli and toss with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Add broccoli to the baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- While that's cooking, place kale in a salad bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the dressing and massage with (clean!) hands for 1 minute.
- Set kale aside and let rest while you prep the remaining ingredients - peel carrots, slice onions, chop cilantro and almonds (if using).
- Once the broccoli is done, remove from oven and immediately add to the kale, along with the carrot ribbons, green onion, cilantro, almonds, sesame seeds, and an additional 2 tablespoons of dressing.
- Toss everything together until evenly coated and kale has slightly wilted from the heat. Add more dressing if desired, there should be about ¼ cup left over.
- Serve right away, or at room temperature within the hour.
Salad will keep well in the fridge, for up to 3 days and can be served cold, or heated in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.