- 2 cups finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup EACH dry bread crumbs, shredded jalapeño jack cheese, finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Full Circle Bakery buns
- thinly sliced jalapeño jack cheese
- Green leaf lettuce
- avocado, sliced (1/2 avocado/burger)
- 1 ½ Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- Onions: Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat (cast iron is recommended). Add onions and allow them to sizzle for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so they don't stick. Season with the sugar and salt, lower heat to medium-low and cook for 25 minutes, stirring every 7-10 minutes, until browned and caramelized.
- Patties: In a large bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients. Shape into four 3/4" thick patties.
- Remove onions from pan, set aside and reheat skillet to medium-high. Cook patties for roughly 3-5 minutes per side. When patties are almost done, lay remaining sliced cheese over them and allow it to melt. If desired, toast buns with just a brush of oil and assemble burgers topping with sliced avocado, onions, and lettuce.