A traditional German dessert that is so easy to make! With a simple batter that rises up and bakes around the apples, this easy apple coffee cake is the perfect everyday dessert.
- 1 pound Gala apples
- 1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 14 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon quality vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 10-11" springform pan or a pan with a removable bottom.
- Peel the apples, remove the core, dice/slice them (not too thick), place them in a bowl and stir in a Tablespoon or two of lemon juice (to prevent browning). Set aside until the batter is ready.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, sugar, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon until pale and creamy/frothy.
- Beat the eggs into your liquid mixture one at a time, mixing thoroughly before adding the next egg.
- Stir the dry mixture into your liquid mixture until combined, but don't over-stir.
- Pour the apples into a colander and let them drain.
- Set aside a few pieces/slices of apple to press into the top of the cake at the end.
- Stir the apples into the batter and scoop the batter into the greased pan.
- Use the apple pieces you set aside and press them into the top of the batter.
- Bake for 40-55 minutes. It’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then remove it to let it cool completely. Serve on its own, with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!