Taylor's dad was kind enough to share his *famous carnitas recipe with us. It took a little working to develop an actual recipe, because it's never been written down before! Enjoy as tacos, a salad or for breakfast in chilaquiles.
- 2 pounds Rusty Hinges Ranch Pasture Raised Pork Leg
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large handful chopped cilantro (about 1 cup)
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- white corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Set pork leg onto a baking sheet and allow to rest while your oven is preheating and you prep the rest of your ingredients.
- Cut and juice your citrus into one bowl. Set aside.
- Roughly chop about 1 cup of cilantro. Set aside.
- Peel and dice your onion. Set aside.
- Generously salt and pepper your pork leg. Don't be shy!
- Juice the citrus over it and add the onion and cilantro.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil, turn oven up to 375 and cook for 30 mins or so.
- The pork is done when you can easily shred with a fork.
- Shred all of your pork using a fork or tongs. Set aside.
- Get a cast iron skillet piping hot, add 2 tablespoons oil and sear the pork until just crispy.
- Serve over tortillas with your favorite toppings.