This recipe is a staple in our home! I love making this when we have friends over because its quick and simple to throw together and looks impressive when served family style. Enjoy! - Ranch Gal Tay
- 2 large eggs and 2 large yolks, room temp
- 2/3 packed cup grated Vella Cheese Co Mezzo Secco (or other hard aged cheese), plus more for serving
- Salt & Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving
- 4 ounces Rusty Hinges Ranch bacon strips
- ½ lb Brussels sprouts
- 16 oz Pasta Shop Fresh Spaghetti
- Red chili flakes (optional, for serving)
NOTE: For best results read the recipe through before cooking. It goes really fast, so it's best to have a clear idea of the steps before you start!
Vegetarian Option: This recipe can 100% be made without bacon and it's fun to add other veggies like asparagus, mushrooms, the more traditional green peas or whatever your heart desires!
- Place a large pot of lightly salted water (no more than 1 Tbsp salt - you'll get adequate saltiness from the bacon) over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop bacon and thinly slice the Brussels sprouts.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, separated yolks then the grated Mezzo Secco. Season with a pinch of salt and generous black pepper. Set aside.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook bacon, stirring often, until browned and crispy - about 5 minutes. Adjust heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer cooked bacon to a plate lined with clean paper towels.
- Add Brussels sprouts to the skillet and sauté in the bacon fat until crisp tender, scraping the bottom to release any browned bits, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let rest while your pasta cooks.
- Add pasta to the water and boil to until al dente - 4-5min for fresh pasta.
- Just before pasta is ready, reheat bacon and Brussels in skillet, if needed.
- Reserve 2 cups of pasta water (this is best done in a liquid measuring cup).
- Drain pasta and add to the skillet with bacon and Brussels over low heat.
- Stir with tongs for a minute or so to combine. Remove from heat.
- To the same skillet, stir in cheese & egg mixture, adding some reserved pasta water a few Tbsp at a time as needed for creaminess.
- Serve immediately, dressing it with a bit of additional grated cheese, pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and red chili flakes (if using).